Wednesday 20 May 2009

Radio Twitter

Listening to Capital Radio the other day whilst having a shower, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they were now accepting requests, shout-outs and comments via Twitter. In the past SMS text and web comments, competition entries and requests were available but I never did get to the stage where I wanted to bother to pay that premium rate text rate or have to sign up to yet another website to use them, however using Twitter to enable listeners to do so is inspired; fast, easy and free (sounds like second houses and taxi rides for MPs no...? Look at the uptake on that one!).

Now it is no secret that I have been sceptical about Twitter. From its place in between Facebook, Windows LIVE Messenger, YouTube and mobile phone text messaging to the amount of “targeted” spam I receive from twitter-ers that have bot randomly adding anyone they spot using key terms. I have been eagerly observing Twitter to see how it evolves past becoming the ultimate opt-in spam channel, and I think it’s getting there...

I think finally actual Twitter exclusive benefits of use are emerging. Here are three I would make use of:

  • Tweeting communications, competition entries and requests for entertainment, radio and web shows.
  • Information update tickers – Wouldn’t mind opting into a rail service update for a route I use for delays and cancellations to be tweeted to my phone (good one Voda!).
  • Twitter competitions – why not have a purely Twitter based competition where competitions are tweeted, and entries are also... tweeted.

Twitter needs to also make an app for mobile phones – thought the SMS text Twitter service is great, I think for the Twitter brand, the potential permanent virtual real estate a Twitter app could occupy would further bolster its mobile digital lifestyle integration with users. Make one for the Nokia 5800 first though please, I’ll even beta test it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment