Friday 1 May 2009

Motionflow in translation

I have loved every Sony Bravia advert since the iconic ‘Balls’ ad back in 2005, not only for their artistic flair but for being able to effectively convey a message of the brand and the product USPs without actually having to directly demonstrate them. Sony has recently released their latest Bravia Motionflow 200Hz technology; a feature of new high end Bravia HDTVs that produce 200 frames per second for the smoothest picture HDTVs have reportedly seen....yet.

Before watching the ad, one massive ‘Q’ emerged from my right ear as though I were part of a Power of Dreams brainstorming session for a new Integra Type-R... it was this – ‘How do you demonstrate and explain effectively a technological innovation and product feature that improves picture quality and smoothness in a motion picture advert that will be viewed on TVs, computer monitors, mobile devices and projectors that do not possess the capabilities being communicated?’. Fair enough question I thought, and with it excitement to see just how those clever creative minds at Fallon dealt with it:

Brilliant, I thought, Sony/Fallon have again managed to capture the brand and product USP into an advert that again doesn’t use the actual product to demonstrate them. Featuring the best soundtrack to an advert I have heard yet this year (that also cross links to Sony’s music brand heritage I thought), some celebrity endorsement we all seem to love, and most awe inspiring - the world’s biggest Zoetrope in the middle of a picturesque square in northern Italy, the ad delivers the message ingeniously; Motionflow 200Hz delivers smoother motion pictures with more frames. Not only does this ad make me love my Bravia more, but has also sown the seed of desire to get myself a Zoetrope – damn you Sony and Fallon, I was doing so well with curbing my random gadget hunger. Cheers guys, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment