Friday 13 March 2009

The NEW, new Facebook

There once was a formula that worked, we all loved it, loved to hate loving it or simply hated but loved using it anyway. This was tampered six months ago, and just as we had all got used to it with one of the previous moulds of 'loving'... it, yet another incarnation is now being forced upon us.

Following in the footsteps of 'New' Coke, this new formula wasn’t as popular as the first. Though with its fans, this new incarnation of a startlingly popular formula that was tampered with caused fans to hit back with passion and order was restored. On this occasion I have no need for a Classic and New edition, the former will do just nicely. Also, I am not suggesting we set up our own charities, nor legally change our names such has transpired with Colainians (don’t bother Wikipedia-ing that one, I just coined it 10 seconds ago).

Now without any specific details, I can only hope the new Home page gets a re-redesign or a return to its 'Original Coke'. For those of you that haven’t had the switch over, the profile page is somewhat improved but your Home page will become a supermarket own brand cola soon. I see the desired innovation USPs about the live feeds by groups idea, but this just executes poorly making navigation cumbersome and slower. Note to Facebook - the ads aren’t any more or less attractive in this layout. The new Facebook system (not the NEW new one, let's not get confused) worked great. We didn't need a sequel or a replacement.

Since the recent Ts & Cs debacle with Facebook, perhaps there is hope for a push back causing a redesign of the new layout? I guess we will all get used to it... HOWEVER, midway through writing this possibly the biggest slap in my finger clicking mouse popped up. I was changing my status when it asked me for a security retype-what’s-in-the-picture job – just what has Facebook become? I simple do not understand the need for a security routine to change a status seeing as you already need to be logged in to do so. Surely if you are a budding corruptor hack type fellow, then you can think of worse things to do with a violated Facebook account then to change a status??? Or have times become this bad?

If ANYONE thinks NEW new Facebook has succeeded in making an easier to manage and access Home page please enlighten me as to why this is the case for you. I want to believe, I just do believe I don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment